Saturday, March 20, 2010

Photo Number 139

Little girls, with matching lockets and dresses.  This is a very old photo..I suspect at one time it was a cabinet card, and someone cut it down to fit a picture frame.  It still has a scalloped or notched edge on one side. Notched edges were popular from 1894 to 1900.  There are no photographer names.  On the back there is writing in pencil..Mrs. Jen or Jim  Johnson 2308 W. 8th Str.  and then a bunch of stuff about Pillows.  There is a date Nov 24 and a number stamped in red 903 and ones in blue 4513 and 4514.  A whole lot of nothing..it is almost as if this photo was used to take notes on.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

7 comments:

  1. Sweet little girls. They have such big expressive eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the impression that the younger one can't wait to get out of the fancy dress and run around. I love your header, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be interesting to know what all those meaningless numbers mean. I find them and say great, who cares. They are certainly dressed up for their photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something in the back of my mind is making me think that those numbers refer to postcards in America at that time. Unfortunately I studied American History many years ago so can't remember anymore. But it is ringing quite a big bell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about anyone else, but their eyes freaked me out. ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if their hair was crimped? It was popular at some point in the late 19th century, but to me it just looked frizzy. They could have also had it braided over night.

    I hope you don't mind a little self promotion, but I'm starting up a new blog I hope you all will check out. It is postings of my Gram's recipe cards - some with no instructions, just ingredients, lol - old terminology etc. I'd appreciate your comments! The site is http://gramsrecipebox.wordpress.com . Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bethany Lutheran church, Duluth, MN has Anna Johnson living at 2308 west 8th in Duluth, MN with a daughter named Jennie (Jen) Johnson and a daughter named Hilda Johnson ( the oldest)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie