Monday, May 17, 2010

Photo Number 197


This was probably taken by John Stolt, he was an early photographer in Calumet, Michigan. I will guess that this photo is from right around 1900.    Michigan history is confusing..Calumet was called Red Jacket, and a nearby town of Laurium was called Calumet until 1895.   My Great Grandparents were from this area of Michigan, my Great Grandfather was a miner in the Copper Mines before he gave it up for land and farming in Minnesota.  So what ever info I can learn from the area they lived in is interesting to me.
Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

3 comments:

  1. I always think the clothes looks too small in these early photos. She has very pretty, deep-set eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Copper Country...my Dad was from Keweenaw Bay and my husband is from L'Anse...my brother owns a cabin on Lake Medora near Copper Harbor...all places near Laurium and Calumet.
    Did you know that at one time, Calumet was so big it was being considered for the capital of Michigan instead of Lansing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I've just come across your blog. I have family from this area around that time and yes, the historical names are difficult to track to the current map! If you've discovered any more information about this photo or have research on the area I'd love to share. Surnames for my family from this area are mainly Sleep, Nicholas, & Tredrea.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie