Friday, May 4, 2012

Photo Number 865

This is a CdV from the antique shop in Brainerd Minnesota.

CdV marked My dad  Brainerd Antiques  very thin paper

On the reverse it is marked “My Dad.”  The card stock is very thin and it has square corners.  I believe it may be from the late 1860’s.  The cards they used were thinner back then and often the photo was framed in an oval surrounded by vines or ornamentation.

I wonder if the gentleman's vest was left open for a reason..was his arm tucked in there when he walked?  I also wonder about the light colored trim on his jacket with stripes near the wrist area of the jacket.

Thanks for stopping by.  Do come again:)

5 comments:

  1. Interesting photo and good questions. I'll check back to see if anyone has the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame the photo is so soiled. I think I see a timepiece on chain in his vest button. The overcoat looks like a uniform of some sorts - trainman, hotel doorkeeper, band leader (although I never met one that ever cared what time it was or punctuality!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking the same thing as Iggy. Wish there was a way to clean up those old photograph cards. What an ornate frame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the foxing on the card. It gives an interesting overall texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd guess later 1860s based on his clothing and the size of the image. I have seen other men's suits with the light colored trim but it could have just been a fashion trend in his area. I recently saw a men's suit from the 1870s that was green plaid! Incredibly garish to us but right in style at the time!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie